Book a 60-minute one-on-one session with a librarian for help with a variety of basic technology topics:
- Downloading library eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Using library subscription resources such as Consumer Reports
- Basics of your smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer
- Email (creating an account, attaching photos and documents, etc.)
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
This service is for Lincolnwood cardholders only. Please email Brian Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (224) 233-1859 to set up an appointment today.
Please note: We are unable to troubleshoot hardware issues with your laptop or mobile device. For these types of questions, please seek a professional computer consultant.
Technology Class Archive
Click here to go to our page of archived technology class videos that you can watch at any time to learn more about technology from Microsoft Excel to Word, Google applications, backing up, social media, ebooks, iPhone and iPads, Google Android, and more.
Free Online Training
Beyond training from the Library, there are many resources online that can help you learn to use technology, including many free options.
- DigitalLearn – The Public Library Association and Chicagoland area librarians created this website where librarians contribute technology lessons. Topics include many essential technology basics including email, Microsoft Windows and Apple MacOS computers, creating a resume and online job searching, typing documents and creating spreadsheets, and more.
- GCFLearnFree – The Goodwill Community Foundation’s Learn Free website offers tutorials on many technology topics. You can watch one short video to learn the exact skill you need or whole courses. Lessons include videos, example files, and practice quizzes. There are courses in multiple languages as well.
- TechBoomers – Learn to use popular consumer websites with free short articles on topics like bitcoin, Netflix, Spotify, and many more. TechBoomers is built for older adults, but anyone can read and learn from its content.
- Typing Club – Learn to type from this free website with practice lessons and exercises for those starting with the basics all the way up to full touch-typing.
- Mousing Around – Learn the basics of using a mouse in computer programs such as Internet browsing with this tutorial and practice games from Florida’s Palm Beach County Library.
There are many more general online learning platforms like for example the Khan Academy. Email a librarian at email@example.com or call us at 224-233-1841 and ask about online learning sites for more information.