COVID-19 Conduct & Safety Policy
- Approved by the LPLD Board November 23, 2020
- Revised June 8, 2021; June 28, 2021; August 23, 2021; January 24, 2022; February 28, 2022
In recognition of the health dangers posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, and in order to provide the greatest possible number of Library patrons and staff with a safe and pleasant environment conducive to quiet study as well as other uses deemed to be consistent with the Library's goal of serving the educational, cultural, and civic needs of the community of Lincolnwood, the Lincolnwood Public Library Board of Library Trustees ("the Board") adopts this COVID-19 Safety Policy.
Sick patrons or patrons showing symptoms of COVID-19 will be asked to leave the Library. Symptoms of illness include, but are not limited to:
- Runny nose and/or eyes;
- Cough and/or respiratory difficulty;
- Chest pain;
- Sore throat;
- Excessive sweating; and
- General fatigue or malaise.
Sick patrons are welcome to return to the Library when their symptoms cease.
In the event a patron is asked to leave the Library, library staff will work with that patron to provide alternate access to library materials, e.g., staff will collect books and materials for the patron to check-out for enjoyment at home.
- Masks are optional but not required for all patrons over the age of 2 in the building. Mask requirements are dependent upon State of Illinois and Cook County Public Health Department guidance.
- Special circumstances for mask requirements will be determined by the Library Director, Deputy Director, or person in charge. For example, special circumstances may include indoor programs, one-on-one technology assistance, or when “social distancing” cannot be maintained.
- Curbside service and online resources are available to all library patrons. Any patrons who require special accommodations should contact library staff for assistance.
- If an individual does not have a mask, or their mask is defective, the Library will provide a disposable mask when required.
For the safety of patrons and staff, furniture throughout the Library has been rearranged or removed during this time. Consistent with the Library’s Behavior Policy, patrons are reminded not to:
- Relocate Library furniture or equipment without permission from Library staff;
- Use furniture in an unsafe manner or a manner inconsistent with its intended use;
- Use of an item of furniture by more people than it was designed to accommodate;
- Lie down on the floor;
- Sit, kneel or "spread out" on the floor for extended periods or so as to hinder convenient and safe access or passage by others.
This policy supplements the Behavior Policy approved by the Board on February 24, 2020. This policy may be amended at the discretion of the Library Director pending board approval. This policy will continue to be enforced until the Board of Trustees votes to abolish it.
Staff Vaccination Requirement
To protect all members of the staff and public, the Library requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, with the exception of religious or medical exemptions within 45 days of hiring. The Library may require additional COVID vaccination boosters as recommended by the CDC.